Press releases and images

If you have any questions, please contact Head of Communications Cecilia Dalborg at +46 (0) 8-545 837 08 or +46 (0) 709-754 708.

The high resolution images are available in 300 dpi, jpg format. The images are free to use accompanied by photo credit and when illustrating editorial publicity directly related to an exhibition or Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde. The artwork is protected by the Copyright Act (SFS 1060:729) and may only be used in news reporting or art critical purposes, jfr § 23 p 2 and 3 of the law.

Press

Download press images

Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde

Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde in Stockholm was originally the residence of Prince Eugen (1865– 1947) and is now one of Sweden’s most popular art museums and tourist destinations. Prince Eugen was one of the leading landscape painters of his time and an important collector specialising primarily in contemporary Swedish, Nordic and French art. The museum’s collection mixes the Prince’s own work with the work of many other artists. Selections from the permanent collection are displayed all year round along with many temporary exhibitions. Waldemarsudde’s lovely grounds and the Prince’s public salon floor are always open to visitors. At the end of June 1948, Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde opened its doors to the public as a museum. Prince Eugen had left his home and art collection to the Swedish state, under the administration of the City of Stockholm. As of 1947, this was the largest bequest of art in the history of Sweden, and the new museum immediately had the third-largest collection in the country after the Nationalmuseum and Göteborgs konstmuseum. In his time, Prince Eugen was a central figure on the Swedish arts scene: the prince who became an artist, collector and founder of a museum. Eugen studied in Paris in the late 1880s, meeting Swedish artists who would remain his friends for the rest of his life. Prince Eugen was a collector for 60 years. The Prince collected primarily Swedish contemporary art and he followed the scene closely. The collection at Waldemarsudde is a unique documentation of Swedish visual art from first half of the twentieth century – including the Prince’s own work. By the time Prince Eugen bought Waldemarsudde in autumn 1899, he was a fixture of the Swedish art world. A respected artist whose work had been shown both in Sweden and abroad, he was in an active participant in the life of the arts who accepted public commissions and was also involved in cultural policy. At this point, the Prince already had a small art collection featuring primarily Swedish artists. He signed the deed of purchase for Waldemarsudde in October 1899, and in 1905 he was ready to move in to his first home – a home whose floor plan was largely of his own design. The salon floor – the more public area of the house – has been preserved as a museum in accordance with the Prince’s wishes, and part of the collection is permanently displayed here, in its original setting. Other parts of the house were converted to exhibition spaces when it became a museum. The art gallery at Waldemarsudde was added due to a shortage of space and completed in 1913. Prince Eugen’s collection had grown so large the house could no longer accommo¬date it. Two more galleries were added in 1945. While the Prince was still alive, the art in the gallery was sometimes exhibited to the public. Today, the gallery alternates between showing selections from the permanent collection and temporary shows. Countless exhibitions of Swedish art of the previous century and group shows of various types have been successfully mounted on the premises, which were adapted for use as a museum from the start.

 

For more information, please contact:

Cecilia Dalborg, Head of Communications
e-mail: c.dalborg@waldemarsudde.se
phone: +46-8-545 837 08 alt. +46-709-754 708